Thursday, March 13, 2008
St. Patrick's Day Parade - March 17th @ 6:00 PM
The 12th annual St. Patrick’s Day Parade will take place March 17 at 6 pm in Old Sacramento. The parade includes traditional entries such as Irish dancers and costumed marchers, school bands, floats, military regiments, police and fire representatives and other cultural organizations. Tartan clad Highlanders will march to the sound of bagpipes, while Irish dancers in elaborate Celtic costumes will perform, along with historic re-enactors from the Gold Rush and the Ophir Prison Marching Band.
Leading up to the parade, Old Sacramento will launch a “Go Green” campaign to encourage the public to not only wear green at the March 17 parade, but to also support a phone book recycling program. People are encouraged to bring their old phone books to the Old Sacramento Visitor Center, located at 1002 Second Street, starting March 1.
The parade is sponsored by Old Sacramento Business Association, Old Sacramento Management, The Shamrock Club, Mix 96, and AT&T Real Yellow Pages.
Old Sacramento streets will be closed as follows for the parade:
* 5:00 pm – No street parking - enforcement begins at 5:00pm
* 5:30 pm – ALL Old Sacramento streets closed
* 6:00-7:00 pm – Parade!
* 7:00 pm (approx) – Second Street and L Street re-open to vehicles
* 7:00-7:45 pm – The intersection of Front and K will remain closed while guests enjoy the post-parade music of the Ophir Prison Band
* 7:45 pm (approx) – All streets re-open to vehicles
Parade-goers are encouraged to park in the nearest City parking garage. The two closest to Old Sacramento are:
* The Old Sacramento Garage at 2nd and I streets
* The Tower Bridge Garage at Front Street and Capitol Mall