Friday, July 13, 2007

Cathedral Square Approved

Cathedral Square was approved by the planning commission yesterday and looks for design review approval next week.

It was originally proposed back in 2004, even before The Towers and Aura, but was somewhat forgotten since the other two took all the spotlight.

I really like the base of the building, which is important to me, esp on the 11th Street side. We probably won't see ground breaking until next year though. I'll see what I can dig up though.

Even with the demise of The Towers (and who knows with Aura) there are still quite a few large proposals out there for Downtown, including this one, Metropolitan and 10th & K, which will hopefully be easier to build. Plus a slew of smaller mixed use projects in midtown on the drawing boards from the East End Gateway to Newton Booth and Trammell Crow.

Even with The Towers going down, there are still a little less than 600 units still under construction in Downtown and Midtown, and around 800 that have been completed over the last 3 years.

Cathedral Square (25 floors) 290’
233 Condominiums/Mixed-Use
~10K Retail Space
328 Parking Spaces
Located at 11th & J Street
Developer: St. Anton Investments, LLC and Cordano Company
Architect: Kwan Henmi







4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is exactly what we need in Sacramento. This is beautiful. Imagine a J Street with this and the Met. Wow. I sure hope these all get built and prices fall to where I can afford one.

GA said...

I'm really intersted to see what price point these come in at as well. I would think they would be much less than The Towers or Aura, but know knows.

Uneasy Rhetoric said...

LIUS - I was going to say that most of the building looks like nondescript condo tower, but the more I look at it, the more I like it. It's utilitarian without being a cube and interesting without being "out there." And you're right, the ground level/lower floors is really interesting. Plus, the building is more "to scale."

Anonymous said...

As a former tenant of the St Anton Building I would pay close attention to the quality of materials purchased for outfitting this building. At the 21st and L location elevator breakdowns and stranded residents were the norm, and while this problem lessened over time the fear of being trapped never lessened.