Thursday, November 29, 2007

New Renderings for Downtown Plaza Makeover

Here are the latest set of renderings for the makeover Westfield is planning for Downtown Plaza.

You can find a detailed report and renderings from the Design Review meeting:
Westfield Downtown Plaza Remodel

It seem like renovations would definitely open up the J and L Street, and well as 4th and 7th. That has been one of my biggest complaints about the current look, its a bunker.

I do like the theater at J and 4th. I would have preferred 7th and K like was planned what seems like years and years ago. Theaters draw lots of people, esp mainstream theaters.

The grocery store is also much needed if more housing is going to be built in the area down the road. I still don't know how wise it is to use a lot of redevelopment money here right now. I still thing the general economy in that area should be the focus, when that improves it makes DTP and other retail project that much more likely to succeed.

Also, considering Target is going to redo the Broadway Target...why would they want a brand new on just a mile or so away?







5 comments:

Fiction said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Fiction said...

yeah, it would be nice to have the theaters near K, but what I really want to see is a large Raley's sign shining on L street -ya know, keep it in-house.

Anonymous said...

reflects the attitude of the developer, the mentality of the urban planners and the ineptitude of the City when you have a Target replace JCREW...

wburg said...

Works for me. I don't really give a crap about J Crew, and still have no idea what J Crew even sells, but I find myself at Target pretty often. Last Christmas I went to Downtown Plaza hoping to buy a DVD player and didn't find anyplace that sold them: having a Target would solve that problem. And having a Raley's downtown for the first time in decades? Not to mention just having a supermarket on the western side of downtown, at all? Absolutely a good idea. Sure, it's not exactly the same crap as Roseville Galleria, but, thank goodness, we ain't Roseville.

Anonymous said...

Now there's a sophisticated and urbane shopper...